Different Way to use Word Wall



Hey Friends! I am sitting here, watching my FAVORITE TV show of all time. Which is when I usually blog during the week!
football
It is Gameday Baby!! If you have followed me even for a few seconds, you will know I love me some college football!! I bleed Orange and Black!! #GoPokes
Football Season is once again upon us my Brothers... Can I get an Amen?!


Anywho!! I posted a picture on my Instagram last night and I had a couple of questions so I thought I would clarify them.


This is the picture I posted:
Using your blank word wall for Beginning Sounds Anchor Charts

I am pretty sure that most classrooms have a word wall. I have a pretty cute one if I do say so myself. I was talking to one of our 1st grade teachers who doesn’t have one. And she brought it to my attention that mine will be blank for a bit until we really get started with sight words.

Using your blank word wall for Beginning Sounds Anchor Charts
I have a HUGE word wall, that takes up almost an entire side of my classroom, and all I could think of was ALL that WASTED space!! (But look at how cute it is!)

I have always done anchor charts as I introduce each letter. Which my kids love to do. I have made them like this and only posted a few at a time.
Beginning Sounds Anchor Chart


Well unfortunately those take up space, and my friend and I were talking about my word wall, and BAM it hit me!!  Instead of making anchor charts, that will only be up for a day or two and wasting paper, WHY Kaci, don’t you use your Word Wall.

Sorting Beginning Sounds
This is what it looks like on my Easel in my room. (Well actually this is on Friday when we are sorting our two sounds, I somehow missed getting a picture, but it looks just like the picture above, just on a magnet board instead of paper)


Then on Friday I transfer them over to my word wall.
Using your blank word wall for Beginning Sounds Anchor Charts

As We introduce sight words, I will add those to our word wall. Then you might ask, what are you going to do with your pictures once you introduce all your letters and have a bunch of sight words?


If you read my post about my writing center here, you know about my pocket chart word wall.
2014-08-03 21.00.25
I actually have used the same pictures from my Just Picture It unit. Just cut them out out and added a magnet to the back.


So I will take down my little pictures (Save them for next year) and introduce my word rings in the writing center. Easy Peasy.


I hope that Clears up some questions. If you have any more please don’t hesitate to ask Smile


After a lot of questions regarding my Word Wall. Here is what it looked like in January:
Signature 1

No comments

Post a Comment